At the end of a long flight, there can be something a bit magical about entering your hotel room. When everything goes right, your check-in is smooth, you get a bit of an upgrade, and your room is perfect. To help you have this experience, and receive other valuable perks, you need the right hotel credit card.
Here are five of the best hotel credit card benefits, and the cards you need to have to enjoy them:
1. Free night award certificates. Hotel credit cards offer you points towards free nights, but then they can also grant you certificates each year that you can redeem for even more free nights. For example, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card offers you a weekend night rewards when you spend $15,000 on your card in a calendar year. Also, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase offers you a free night award valued at up to 35,000 points each year after your account anniversary. Finally, the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card from Chase gives you a free night award each year on your account anniversary.
2. Elite status. When you have elite status with a hotel program, you can receive bonus points, priority service, room upgrades and event free breakfasts. For example, the Hilton Honors American Express Card has no annual fee and offers you complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status. And when you spend $20,000 on eligible purchases in a calendar year, then you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year. The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN both offer Gold status the Hilton Honors program and the Marriott Rewards program, which now includes Starwood Preferred Guest. Also, the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers Platinum Elite status as long as you’re a cardmember.
3. An extra night free. Another way that hotel credit cards can offer you a free night is by giving you an extra night when you book several consecutive nights. For instance, the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers you a fourth award night for free when you book a stay of four or more nights. Also, The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN both feature the Fine Hotels and Resorts program which includes many offers of free night stays at the end of three or four nights of paid reservations.
4. Global Entry or PreCheck fee reimbursements. There are now several hotel credit cards that will reimburse you for up to $100 for an application to TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, which includes PreCheck. The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card comes with this benefit as does the The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN.
5. Lots of bonus points. Finally, a great hotel credit card will feature a wealth of bonus points for making purchases at properties in the hotel chain. The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card Card is being removed from the channel today offers 10x points at IHG properties, while the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card features 12x points for spending at Hilton hotels and resorts. Finally, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card offers 6x at Marriott and SPG hotels.