Free Uber rides from the airport? Yes, if you use an American Express card to pay for them.
Through December 31, Uber customers can get two free rides from select airports, worth up to $65 apiece, when charging the rides to an American Express card.
To receive the discount, Uber users must enter the promotion code AMEXAIRPORT when requesting an eligible ride, and selecting an American Express card as the form of payment.
The airports included in the promotion:
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
If the ride price exceeds $65, the customer will receive a $65 discount on the total fare. Rides to the airport do not qualify for the discount.
Deal or No Deal
The restrictions to a limited number of airports, and to rides from but not to those airports, are negatives, as is the somewhat short window to take advantage of the discount. On the other hand, a potential savings of $130, just for using an American Express card, is a solid deal.
Reader Reality Check
Deal or no deal?
More from SmarterTravel:
- United's New Basic Economy Fares— How Low Can You Go?
- Will Alaska Airlines Downgrade Its Mileage Program?
- $15 for 4 Extra Inches of Legroom? Yes, Please!