Want to stay in shape on vacation without having to spend half your morning at the hotel gym? With this in-room exercise routine, all you need is 20 minutes to get a full body workout. And best of all, you don't need any gym equipment, so you can leave your yoga mat at home.
Watch the video here, and then scroll down to find details on number of reps and a breakdown of how to do each exercise.
1. Jumping Jacks (60 seconds)
2. High Knees (60 seconds)
3. Leg Swings (30 seconds each)
4. Arm Swings (30 seconds)
5. Shoulder Circles (30 seconds each)
6. Core Twists (30 seconds)
Recommended: 2 -3 sets of 12 for each
1. Push Ups: (works biceps, chest, core, shoulders and triceps) Steps: Place your hands on floor to line up with your shoulders and move into a plank position. Keeping your back flat and core tight, lower down and up. Modified Push Up: Place your knees on the floor, and follow the same steps.
2. Tricep Dips: (works chest, deltoids, triceps and upper back) Steps: Place your hands at the edge of a chair or bed shoulder-width apart, with your feet out in front of you. Keeping your back straight, bend your elbows back until they reach a 90-degree angle, and then raise up by fully extending your arms. Modified Tricep Dip: Sit on the floor with your knees at a 90-degree angle. Place your arms directly behind you, and bend from the elbow to dip backwards and up.
3. Single Leg Stand (works core, glutes, hamstrings and quads) Steps: Sit on a chair with both feet on the floor. Elevate one leg, and lean forward using your working leg and core to stand up. Sit back down and repeat. Modified Leg Stand: Using your core strength, stand up with both legs then sit back down and repeat.
4. Squats (works core, glutes, hamstrings and quads) Steps: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Lower down until your hips and knees are parallel, then come up and repeat. Modification (45-Degree Wall Sit): Place your back against the wall and slide down to a 45-degree angle, keeping your knees and feet aligned. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds.
5. Hip Hinge (works core and lower back) Steps: Stand with your hands on your hips, feet hip-width apart, and your knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat and core tight, slowly lower your upper body down and up. Modified Hip Hinge: Sit on a chair or bed with both feet on the floor, and follow the same steps.
6. Leg Lifts, Front, Back & Side (works core, glutes and hip flexors) Steps: Stand up with your back straight and core tight. Raise one leg straight out in front of you to a 45-to-90-degree angle, then bring it back down. Hold onto an object for balance if needed. After one set repeat exercise to the side, and then to the back. Adjust height of leg lift to modify.
7. Standing Bicycle Crunch (works core and obliques) Steps: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, fingertips behind your head, and elbows pointing outward, in line with your shoulders. Bring your right leg up and twist the left side of your body to the right, bringing your opposing knee and elbow together at the torso. Continue by alternating sides. Modified Bicycle Crunch: Place one hand against the wall for balance and do a set on one side before switching.
8. Plank (works core and lower back) Steps: Go into a push-up position, or, bend your elbows and rest your weight on your forearms, keeping your back flat and core tight. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Modified Plank: Follow the same steps, only this time with your knees touching the floor.
9. Side Plank (works core and obliques) Steps: Lie on your side with your body in a straight line. Extend your forearm out, with your elbow lined up slightly below your shoulder. Keeping your hips square and your neck in line with your spine, push yourself up so that your palm is supporting your weight. Hold for 30 seconds and lower, then switch sides. Modified Side Plank: Follow the same steps using your forearm to hold yourself up.
10. Heel Raises (works calves) Steps: Raise your heels off the floor while keeping your knees straight. Hold, and then lower your heels to the floor.
This video was filmed at the Nine Zero Hotel in Boston, Massachusetts.
More from SmarterTravel:
- How to Stay Healthy While Traveling
- 13 Things You Need to Pack for an Active Vacation
- 12 Superfoods That Will Keep You Healthy While Traveling
Read the original story: 10 Hotel Room Exercises You Can Do Without Any Workout Gear by Olivia Briggs, who is a contributor to SmarterTravel.