Q. Help! I l flew to the inlaws yesterday and seemed to have misplaced my license somewhere along the way. I tried calling the airport lost and found, but  it looks like I may have really lost it forever. So here I am, stranded, with no license. Do I stand a chance of clearing security on the way home without it?

A. Oof, sorry to hear! It's not easy, but these things do happen. If you have any other forms of ID handy, of course that will help. According to the TSA, acceptable forms of identification include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Says the TSA, "If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases." You can peruse the TSA's Identity Matters page for more info. All hope is not lost!

All products and services mentioned on Airfarewatchdog are independently selected by our team of expert travelers. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

More Stories You'll Love