Avoid these airports when flying if at all possible, as they experience the most flight delays out of any airports in the United States.
Travel site The Family Vacation Guide analyzed two years of data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics’s (BTS) Airline On-Time Statistics and Delay Causes reports to determine the airports that travelers are most likely to be delayed at.
According to the study, at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International airport almost one in four flights arrives later than its scheduled time.
The Worst U.S. Airports for Flight Delays
- Newark Liberty International
- LaGuardia Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International
- Palm Beach International
- Boston Logan International
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International
- Orlando International
- San Antonio International
- John F. Kennedy International and San Francisco International (tied)
You can reduce your chances of a flight delay by nearly half compared to the above airports if you’re able to fly in or out of one of the ten airports where flights are the least frequently delayed.
The U.S. Airports With the Least Flight Delays
- Daniel K Inouye International
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International
- Minneapolis-St Paul International
- Salt Lake City International
- Detroit Metro Wayne County
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International
- Portland International
- John Wayne Airport-Orange County
- Sacramento International
- Metropolitan Oakland International
If you do end up having a flight delay, make sure you know what your rights are in regard to compensation and transportation options—we have a complete guide here.