While other airlines are offering free waivers on flight changes this spring, Southwest Airlines is reminding flyers that they've always allowed these perks on all their tickets, and free baggage to boot! So book one of these fare deals starting as low as $39 one-way on Interisland Hawaii flights, and just at $49 one-way or $98 roundtrip for continental travel without worrying about a change in your travel plans. This is also the first sale Southwest has included fares from the mainland to Hawaiian airports as part of their discount deals, so be on the lookout for tickets from California to the islands starting at $139 one-way!
As always, many routes have lower unadvertised fares available than what Southwest advertises, and you'll often find much lower displayed prices in markets that compete with ultra-low-cost carriers — many are under or close to $100 roundtrip.
- Travel Period: Now through June 6, 2020, with a 21-day advance purchase for continental U.S. travel.
- Travel Days of the Week: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays for most routes. See info below for different travel days for specific markets.
- Blackout Dates: May 21, 22, & 25, 2020.
Departures to Las Vegas and select Florida airports are available Sunday through Wednesday; Travel from Las Vegas and certain cities in Florida is valid Tuesday through Friday.
Routes outside the continental U.S. may require a 21-day advance purchase. Interisland Hawaiian fares are valid for travel Mondays through Thursdays through May 20, 2020. Tickets to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico are valid Mondays through Thursdays, through April 14 - May 14, 2020.
Tickets must be purchased by Thursday, March 5, 2020, at 11:59 pm PT.
Sample Sale Fares
Please note, these fares are only available on Southwest.com. Other carriers regularly match these sale fares, so be sure to compare to find the best deal. All fares also work in the reverse direction.
- Honolulu to Kauai $78 roundtrip, nonstop
- Los Angeles to San Francisco $98 roundtrip, nonstop
- Oakland to Long Beach $98 roundtrip, nonstop
- Nashville to Atlanta $108 roundtrip, nonstop
- Phoenix to Los Angeles $118 roundtrip, nonstop
- Chicago-Midway to Minneapolis $128 roundtrip, nonstop
- New York-LaGuardia to Nashville $138 roundtrip, nonstop
- West Palm Beach to Atlanta $138 roundtrip, nonstop
- Cincinnati to Chicago-Midway $156 roundtrip, nonstop
- Detroit to St. Louis $158 roundtrip, nonstop
- Washington D.C.-IAD to Jacksonville $166 roundtrip, nonstop
- Austin to San Diego $178 roundtrip, nonstop
- Buffalo to Orlando $188 roundtrip, nonstop
- New York-LaGuardia to New Orleans 188 roundtrip, nonstop
- Phoenix to Albuquerque $194 roundtrip, nonstop
- Cincinnati to Islip $198 roundtrip, nonstop
- Houston-Hobby to New York-LaGuardia $198 roundtrip, nonstop
- Orlando to Memphis $200 roundtrip, nonstop
- Pittsburgh to Tampa $208 roundtrip, nonstop
- Cleveland to Grand Rapids $218 roundtrip, nonstop
- Boston to Colombus $246 roundtrip
- Oakland to Maui $278 roundtrip, nonstop
- San Jose to Kauai $278 roundtrip, nonstop
- San Diego to Honolulu $278 roundtrip, nonstop
These are the advertised sale fares. Many routes have lower unadvertised fares available.
Sale fares include a carry-on bag, a personal item, and two free checked bags up to 50lbs/23kg each.
Southwest has an open seating policy, which means there are no assigned seats, and you'll get to choose your place during boarding. The order of boarding is determined by the time of check-in, so check-in exactly 24 hours before departure or pay for priority boarding for a better choice of seat.
Searching Southwest's website, I found seats departing Baltimore BWI on Wednesday, May 20, returning from Detroit DTW on Saturday, May 23, 2020, for $158 roundtrip.