The fare war on flights to Europe has hit large and small cities across the U.S. and likewise to both large and small cities in Europe. If you think it's necessary to fly from or to a major city for a cheap flight, think again. The big 3 legacy carriers American, Delta, and United are all attacking each other's hub cities on both sides of the pond with incredible deals. Fares between several cities are in the $400s roundtrip.
Many cities that rarely see prices this low to Europe are included such as Columbus (CMH), Duluth (DLH), and Fresno (FAT). And if you live near a Delta or United hub like Atlanta (ATL), Houston (IAH), or San Francisco (SFO), you'll find great deals to smaller cities all across Europe. The possibilities are endless.
This sale is unadvertised, but I'll give the general details for availability below.
- Travel Period: November through April 7, 2020, with a 50-day advance purchase. It's usually only around $20 more for travel through May 21, 2020.
- Travel Days of the Week: Travel to Europe Sundays through Wednesdays; Return from Europe Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Minimum Stay: 7-nights
- Blackout Dates: Holiday travel in late December and early January.
Prices will vary slightly depending on which airport you connect through and which booking site you use. Use the prices listed below as a general guideline for the type of deal you can find.
This sale is unadvertised and fares may jump at any moment. Book now to avoid missing out. Try many different booking sites if you are finding prices jumping since inventory can go fast and may be available through another booking engine.
Prices shown are what was found from Columbus (CMH) and represents an approximate price to these cities from nearly everywhere in the U.S.
Nearly every U.S. airport to:
- Amsterdam (AMS) ~ $458 roundtrip on United
- Barcelona (BCN) ~ $454 roundtrip on Delta
- Brussels (BRU) ~ $454 roundtrip on Delta
- Paris (CDG) ~ $481 roundtrip on American or United
- Rome (FCO) ~ $468 roundtrip on United
- Frankfurt (FRA) ~$523 roundtrip on Delta
- Geneva (GVA) ~ $495 roundtrip on Delta
- London (LHR) ~ $584 roundtrip on Delta
- Madrid (MAD) ~ $458 roundtrip on Delta
- Milan (MXP) ~ $461 roundtrip on United
- Nice (NCE) ~ $490 roundtrip on American or United
- Venice (VCE) ~ $494 roundtrip on United
- Zurich (ZRH) ~ $465 roundtrip on Delta
This is just a sample of deals available. There are several other cities included in this widespread sale. Even if your city isn't listed, make sure to check the price from your local airport for a super deal.
Related: Today's Best Flight Deals to Europe
Basic Economy fares only include a carry-on bag plus one personal item. The first checked piece of luggage will cost $60 each-way. On some routes, it's cheaper or the same price to upgrade to a Main Cabin Economy fare. Main Cabin Economy fares include one free checked bag.
Seats will be assigned at random upon check-in for Basic Economy. You may be able to pay a fee to choose a specific seat. Main Cabin Economy fares include advanced seat assignments.
Upgrading to Main Cabin Economy will cost an additional $120 - $160 roundtrip on most routes. Certain travel dates and/or routes may be more or less to upgrade. This type of fare will include one free checked bag, seat selection, and the ticket will be eligible for upgrades/changes in the itinerary (fee applies).
Note: American Airlines allows ticket changes (fee applies) on both Basic Economy and Main Cabin Economy fares.
As an example, I found a flight on United departing Springfield SGF on Tuesday, November 19 returning from Nice NCE on Wednesday, November 27, for $491 roundtrip.