Editor's note: Some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through our site.
There are a lot of people who dismiss the notion that reward credit cards are as amazing as they’re claimed to be. The naysayers like to point out that some people use credit cards to get into debt, and that frequent flyer miles can sometimes be nearly impossible to redeem. And while these can be valid criticisms, it’s also true that credit cards can offer some amazing perks.
Here are six credit card perks that seem too good to be true, but aren’t:
1. Free spa treatments. Like many premium travel reward credit cards, the Platinum Card from American Express comes with access to some airport business lounges. But this card includes access to American Express’s Centurion lounges which include full gourmet meals and at their Dallas-Ft. Worth and Miami locations, complimentary 15 minute massages and manicures.
2. Unlimited free hotel nights. The Citi Prestige card offers you a complimentary 4th night stay at any hotel, when you book a minimum of four consecutive nights through their travel service. It doesn’t matter if the hotel room costs $100 a night or $1,000 a night, and you can use this benefit over and over again to save thousands of dollars a year.
3. Airport lounge access, for everyone. One of the problems with credit cards that offer airport business lounge access is that there’s usually a limit to the number of guests you can bring in. The Chase Sapphire Reserve has been offering a Priority Pass Select membership that includes unlimited guests, but that will change to just two guests on August 26, 2018. Authorized users also receive a Priority Pass Select membership, but adding a card to the account costs $75 per person. But with the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, you can add up to 10 authorized users at no additional cost, and each one gets Admirals Club access. Furthermore, they can each bring in two guests to the lounge or all of their immediate family members.
4. Unlimited $100 discounts on airfare. As part of the Visa Infinite program, the Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase offers you a $100 discount on domestic, economy class round-trip airfare reservations for between two and five passengers, so long as the primary cardholder is one of the travelers. A one-day advance notice is required, but you can use this discount an unlimited number of times.
5. Free photos with Mickey Mouse. When you have the Disney Premier Visa card from Chase, your family will enjoy cardmember-exclusive photo opportunities at private locations at Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts, along with free downloads of your photos. You might not find this perk to be too good to be true, but your children just might.
6. Free breakfast. When you have Gold or Diamond status in the Hilton Honors program you get a range of perks including free continental breakfasts. Normally, you need to complete 20 stays, stay 40 nights or earn 75,000 Honors Base points to receive Gold status. However, the Hilton Honors Ascend card from American Express and the Platinum Card from American Express both offer Hilton Honors Gold status to all cardholders.