If You're on Your Way to a Hurricane Zone
- If your flight has been canceled (and it probably has) you are entitled to a refund even if your ticket is non-refundable.
- Even if your flight wasn’t heading directly to the hurricane zone, your flight may still be affected and you may request a refund.
- If you have non-refundable deposits on hotels, etc. travel insurance may cover your loss.
- You cannot buy travel insurance once a storm is named.
- Very important: check your credit card coverage. Some credit cards will provide coverage even in cases of non-refundable travel losses as well as hotels and meals. Chase Sapphire, United Airlines Explorer (also from Chase), and some Citibank Aadvantage American Airlines cards have excellent, free coverage for trip interruption and cancellation.
If You're Stuck in a Hurricane Zone
- Again, travel insurance or credit cards might help absorb some expenses you incur as a result of the storm.
If You're Planning a Trip During the Caribbean's Hurricane Season