Northwest Airlines' began their new nonstop service from Denver to Düsseldorf on June 5, and will begin service to Brussels on June 15. Excited? Well, these new routes are both being offered at special introductory rates until June 14. This sale is good for travel now until November 30, but let's be realistic. You're not going to find these fares during peak summer months. We went snooping around for fall and came up with the following:
• Los Angeles to Düsseldorf, advertised as $283 each-way: We searched for travel from October 2 through October 10, and found a fare of $601 round-trip, including all taxes. That's actually a little better than the advertised fare of $283 each-way. At $625 round-trip, including taxes, Northwest is also the best deal listed on Orbitz.
• Detroit to Düsseldorf, $285 each-way: We checked for travel from September 4 through September 12, and found a fare of $603 round-trip, including all taxes. The same trip on Orbitz also lists Northwest as having the lowest fare, and it's the only nonstop too.
• Minneapolis to Düsseldorf, $295 each-way: Searching for travel from August 27 through September 3, we found a fare of $636 round-trip, including all taxes. Northwest is also the lowest fare on Orbitz, at $647 round-trip, including all taxes.
• Detroit to Brussels, $330 each-way: We found a fare of $670 round-trip, including all taxes, for September 9 through September 17. Check these dates on Orbitz and you'll see that Northwest is the only nonstop. Sure, there is a slightly lower fare of $665 round-trip on Delta, but it includes a stopover. You may as well spend the extra $5 and avoid the hassle of shuffling through yet another airport.
• Minneapolis to Brussels, $344 each-way: Using September 3 through September 11 as our dates of travel, we found a fare of $708 round-trip, including taxes. Orbitz shows Delta as having the lowest fare at $586 round-trip, including all taxes.
• Los Angeles to Brussels, $348 each-way: We found a fare of $715 round-trip, including all taxes, for September 3 through September 14. We checked out the same dates on Orbitz and found that Northwest was listed, again, as having the best fare, at $726 round-trip, including tax.
On every route we checked out, Northwest has the best fare and, in some cases, is the only available nonstop. As expected, these sale fares aren't available during the summer, but start popping up on the flexible-search calendar as early as September 1. Book directly on nwa.com and avoid those Orbitz booking fees.