For those folks feeling a little intimidated by those high summer fares abroad, the airlines have begun to trot out all their sales for fall. Air France is having just such a sale, good for departures from October 1 through October 31, with a maximum stay of one month. All travel must be booked by June 10. A few advertised sample fares include:
- Miami to Budapest, advertised as $297 each-way: Using October 10 through October 17 as our dates of travel, we easily found the $297 fare, which comes to $710 round-trip, including taxes. Searching these same dates on Orbitz shows Air France as having the best fare, at $721 round-trip, including taxes.
- Houston to Paris, advertised as $339 each-way: Again, the advertised fare is easy to find. We chose October 16 through October 23, and our final fare, taxes and all, came to $773 round-trip. A follow-up search on Orbitz lists the lowest fare as $751 round-trip, with taxes, shared by United and Lufthansa.
- San Francisco to Florence, advertised as $475 each-way: This fare isn't as readily available as the previous. We searched the flexible search calendar through the month of October, and did manage to find an even better fare of $385 one-way available in the last week of the month. This fare also available in the second week of November as well, long after the sale was to end. So for travel from October 29 through November 5, our total fare came to $880 round-trip. Plugging in these dates on Orbitz, we found a lower fare of $825 round-trip, including taxes, again shared by United and Lufthansa.
- Chicago to Cairo, advertised as $477 each-way: Using October 1 through October 11 as our dates of travel, we found a fare of $1,077 round-trip, including all taxes. Over at Orbitz, we found a lower fare of $985 round-trip, including taxes, on Royal Jordanian, however it comes with 2 stopovers, in Detroit and Amman. Alitalia ties with what we found on Air France, at $1,077.
- New York to Delhi, advertised as $492 each-way: We chose October 1 through October 12 as our travel dates, and found a fare of $1,087 round-trip, including all taxes. Searching these same dates on Orbitz pulled a fare of $950 round-trip, including taxes, on Finnair.
Though there are some pretty decent fares included in the sale, United and Lufthansa offer some of these routes for a bit less. For this one, feel free to indulge your preference in airlines (ahem, cough, cough) and not feel guilty.