Yep, Mother’s Day is on the horizon. Have you mailed Mom that card yet? Take advantage of these Mother’s Day sales and you can deliver Mom’s card in person this year. But as Mama always told you, you’d better shop around. Wait, or was that just Smokey Robinson? In any case, let’s start with American Airlines’ Mother’s Day Sale, valid for departures from May 9 through May 12, and for returns on May 14 and May 15 only.
- Denver to Tulsa, advertised for $188 round-trip: We searched American’s site for travel from May 9 through May 14 and easily found that $188 base fare. Add in those taxes and you're at $228 round-trip. On Orbitz, United is listed as having these dates for $213 round-trip, including taxes.
- Baltimore to San Francisco, advertised for $398 round-trip: Using May 11 through May 14, we found that $398 round-trip fare, which is $439 with taxes. Is Oakland any cheaper? Not at $521 round-trip. Plugging in these dates on Orbitz got us a fare of $388 round-trip, with taxes, on US Airways. Oakland isn't any cheaper on Orbitz either. Delta is $406 round-trip on these dates.
- Chicago to Calgary, advertised for $407 round-trip: We checked American for travel from May 10 through ay 14 and found a base fare of $378 round-trip, or $446 round-trip, including taxes. Orbitz lists the lowest fare as $430 round-trip, including taxes, on United.
- Los Angeles to Dallas, advertised for $258 round-trip: For travel May 9 through May 15, we had no trouble finding that advertised fare of $258, or $278 round-trip with taxes. Orbitz lists the lowest for this trip at $284 round-trip, also with American (which includes the Orbitz booking fee).
- Columbus OH to Washington DC, advertised for $238 round-trip: We found $238 round-trip for travel May 12 through May 14. That's $279 with taxes. Meanwhile, Orbitz has this same trip on United for $175 round-trip.
- Orlando to San Francisco, advertised for $338 round-trip: We searched United for travel on May 10 through May 14 and found a base fare of $314, which came to about $367 round-trip with taxes. The same search on Orbitz gave us a fare of $374, which includes their booking fee. For those afraid that Mama's carnations may droop during the layover, United also offers this route nonstop for $465 round-trip, including taxes.
- Los Angeles to Oakland, advertised for $142 round-trip: Using May 12 through May 14 as our travel dates, we were able to find a base fare of $132. Add in the taxes and you're looking at $162 round-trip. We searched these same dates on Orbitz and found the same trip at $168 on United. Again, the only difference is the booking fee that Orbitz has tacked on. The next lowest fare listed is $198 round-trip, on Delta.
- Washington DC to Springfield IL, advertised for $218: for travel from May 11 through May 14, we found a base fare of $202, which ends up being $238 round-trip with taxes. Orbitz also lists United as the lowest fare, at $244 round-trip including taxes and their booking fee.
- Denver to Albuquerque, advertised for $178: We found a base fare of $165, departing on May 9 and returning May 15. That comes to $197 round-trip with taxes. The same search on Orbitz turns up a fare of $203 round-trip with United, including taxes as well as the Orbitz booking fee. The next best fare? It's $388 on US Airways! That's quite difference.
- Chicago to New York, advertised for $178: With May 11 through May 14 as our travel dates, we found a base fare of $146, which comes to $178 round-trip with taxes. Checking these dates back at Orbitz, we found a better fare of $159 round-trip, including taxes and booking fee, on ATA.
We’re sure you’d willingly spend any amount to be with Mama on her special day, but wouldn’t she be pleased to hear what a savvy consumer she raised? That said, American does pull through on a few routes, but the overall savings appear to be with United.